Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Toddler Snowflake Painting

I am officially in full on Christmas mode, and by association so is Roman!  Obviously Roman can't do too may Christmas crafts just yet, but when I came across this snowflake painting on Pinterest I knew this was something he could do.


Roman has done a few paintings in his time but I was really excited to see that he seemed more engaged in it this time rather than just absentmindedly touching the paint and canvas and then taking off.  You're probably thinking that I'm insane for letting my toddler ran rampant with paint in my house.  Even I am not that crazy!  I made sure to sequester Roman in the tub with his paint and canvas so that I only had to hose Roman and the tub off.

While Roman was napping I taped off a snowflake on a canvas with masking tape.  Canvas' can be expensive so I picked this up at Dollarama for $1.25.  If you're having trouble finding masking tape in stores, try looking near the painting tape.  Maybe I'm the only person that didn't know that's where you find it?

Now for the fun part!  With Roman and his canvas in the tub, I squeezed a good amount of regular craft paint right onto the bottom of the tub.  I kept Roman in his diaper to prevent paint getting into places that aren't nearly as easy to clean as the rest of him.  After a few times of me sticking his hand into the paint and onto the canvas he got the idea and ran with it.  I figured he would attempt to eat the paint at least once but I guess it didn't look very appetizing today. 


With the canvas soaked in paint and Roman cleaned off, we headed off to play for a couple hours while the paint dried.  It probably shouldn't take this long for a painting like this to dry but the paint was pretty thick in some spots.


Once the canvas was dried I carefully pulled up the tape to expose a beautiful snowflake.  This is going to make a great addition to our Christmas decorations this year!  I love looking at the ornaments on Mom's tree that Selby and I made when we were little so hopefully Roman will be the same!

1 comment:

  1. It will be a treasured piece for years to come!

    ReplyDelete