Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Salisbury Steak

When I was in elementary school the cool thing to have for lunch was Michelina's.  Healthy, no.  Delicious, yes!  One of my favorites was the Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and gravy.  I swear I can smell it now just thinking about it.  Just thinking of how much sodium is in one of those bad boys makes me twitch.  But I have found salvation in this amazing Once A Month Meals recipe!  If you only try one recipe from my blog, I beg of you, try this one!  This has become a family favorite in no time flat.  John actually gets excited when he sees that I've taken it out for supper, and Roman has been known to gobble down an entire patty himself!


Salisbury Steak (serves 4)
1lb ground beef
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
10oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup beef broth
8oz sliced mushrooms

In a bowl combine beef, soup mix, milk and bread crumbs and form into patties.  I used a 1/3 cup measure and get around 8 patties.  Cook the patties in a pan over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.  While the patties are cooking mix broth, cream soup and mushrooms together in a large bowl.  Remove patties from the pan and pour in the broth mixture.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

To freeze:
Prepare as above and allow to cool completely.  Divide patties and sauce between two 8x8 tin pans, wrap with foil and freeze.
To Serve:
Heat the foil covered pan for 40-50 minutes at 350°

I think this meal is best served with it's classic paring of mashed potatoes but we've also been known to eat it solo when I'm out of potatoes, and it's just as delicious!  It may be 9:00pm right now but I could totally go for some of this right now...

1 comment:

  1. I think I already have an addition for my recipe binder!!!

    ReplyDelete