Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tissue Puffs

For our wedding in 2011, I along with the help of a few lucky people, made 4 large garbage bags full of these tissue puffs that we used to decorate our reception venue.  So I decided I wanted to make them for Roman's baptism.  I knew they were something I could make quickly in the evening after Roman went to bed, and they were very inexpensive because I purchased my supplies at the dollar store (again!).  In one hour I managed to make 8 puffs and they only set me back 20 cents each!

John however was not as excited as I was and he started twitching a bit when he saw me making them.  But don't let John's terror deter you! These are extremely easy to make and will add some pop to your next party, or even add a special touch to a nursery or child's room.


Supplies
Tissue paper
String (you could also use wire)
Scissors

Open up the tissue paper and cut the stack in half lengthwise.  Then cut the long sections in half width wise.  If you want a smaller/larger puff, cut your tissue paper into smaller/larger pieces.  I had 20 sheets of tissue paper in the package, so I separated out 10 sheets to use for each puff.  To make a fuller/thinner puff, use more/less sheets of tissue paper in each puff.

 
Start at one end of the tissue paper and start accordion folding your way to the other side.  For this size of puff you want your folds approximately an inch wide.  If you are making a different size puff you will want to adjust your fold sizes accordingly.
 

 
Tie a length of string around the centre of the tissue paper.  Be sure to leave the tails long enough that you have enough string to attach the puff to something.
 
This step is optional.  You can leave the tissue paper the way it is, or you can cut a shape into each end of the tissue paper.  The shape you cut with change the way your puff looks once it is fluffed.  No cuts will give you a rounded wave like look, whereas the pointed tip like I've done, gives you a spikier look.
 
 

Gently pull each sheet of tissue paper, one at a time, up and towards the centre.  You want all of the sheets pulled towards the same side.  As you pull more and more sheets it will get harder and harder to get them to the centre, so just pull them as close as you can.  Your puff will begin to take on a round shape as it gets fuller.
 

Tears are bound to happen when working with tissue paper, but don't panic!  If the tissue paper tears, keep separating the sheets as above.  Most of the time the fluffiness of the puff will disguise the tear.  If there is a piece hanging off the puff, carefully tear it off and keep separating the sheets.  Once the puff is completely formed it will be almost impossible to see where the tear was.  When your puff is complete you can scrunch and fluff your puff until it's just right.

 
See, I told you there was no reason to be afraid!  I simply taped these to the wall for Roman's baptism, but they could be tied to chairs, blinds, anything you can think of.  They are surprisingly durable so you could reuse them, or hang them as permanent decor, after your celebration is over! 

No comments:

Post a Comment