Saturday, March 1, 2014

Ribbon Topiaries

At 7 months old, we are finally having Roman baptized!  We are very excited for Roman and to have our friends and family over to celebrate after the service.  As soon as we decided on the date I headed to my favourite website for inspiration, Pinterest!  After sifting through several pins, and being distracted by more than one cupcake recipe, I found a great idea for a table decoration.  For the original pin, click here.

These topiaries looked like something that I could make quickly, easily, and inexpensively. Not to mention they are beautiful!  To make two topiaries you will need:
- 2 styrofoam cubes. I used 5" cubes.
- 2 styrofoam balls. I used 5" balls.
- 2 wooden dowels. You can use whatever length you like to make the topiaries as tall as you like. I used a 36" dowel and cut it in half.
- 25 yards of ribbon.  Use as many patterns or colours as you like.  You will need more ribbon for a larger ball, larger loops and the optional bows on the side of the cube.
- wrapping paper
- tape
- pins.  I used a box of 200 and had a lot left over.
- hot glue
First decide how big you want your loops of ribbon to be. I cut my ribbon into 3.5" lengths. Run a line of glue along the end of the ribbon on the good side, then bring the other end around to make a loop.  Continue this process with all the ribbon.


Next push one wooden dowel into the centre of the cube.  Remove the dowel and wrap the cube in the wrapping paper, just like a present, making sure the seam is on the bottom.  Find the hole you made with the dowel and poke a hole in the paper. Squeeze some glue into the hole and insert the dowel.  Push the other end of the dowel into the centre of the ball and remove the ball.


To attach the ribbon loops to the ball, insert a pin into the ribbon along the glue line and in the centre of the ribbon.  Stick the pin into the styrofoam ball.  Continue adding ribbon loops to the ball, alternating the direction of the ribbon, until the ball is completely covered.  Be sure to leave the hole for the dowel exposed.
 
Squeeze some glue into the hold in the ball and press it onto the dowel.


I decided to add the bows to the side of the cube to hide the tape because I had ribbon left over.

I purchased all my supplies at Michael's and both topiaries ended up costing around $50.  They could be made inexpensively if you purchased your supplies from the dollar store.  I have seen many of the same supplies there, I just happened to be at Michael's (such a treat!) so I picked everything up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment