Sunday, March 2, 2014

Roman's Baptism

What a special and perfect day for Roman!  The ceremony was perfect and we were surrounded by our family and friends.  Roman's gown was made by a family friend from my wedding dress.  Many people would cringe at the thought of their wedding dressing being cut up, but I don't really see the point of keeping a dress stuffed in a closet for the rest of my life. Some women like to keep their dress in hopes that one day their future daughter will wear it when they get married.  Now think of your Mom's wedding dress, would you wear that on your wedding day? I didn't think so. Last I checked hats with attached veils weren't in style anymore.  No offence Mom!!!

 
For the party I decided on a blue and white colour scheme. I'm all about throwing a party on a budget so most of the supplies were purchased from, you guessed it, the dollar store! I really am obsessed with that store!!  I decided to keep the decorations fairly simple using tissue puffs and streamers to decorate the room. 


For the food table I made two ribbon topiaries with a variety of shades of blue for contrast and visual interest. Plus every party needs a little glitter! We used a square plate with a polka-dot border, a solid blue cup, and a blue striped napkin. Mixing patterns and shapes gives some dept and texture to the table, and prevents them from fading in to the tablecloth.  I went with paper plates and cups because I really didn't want to do all those dishes.  Plus coloured and patterned settings are way more fun than plain old white!
 

I used a vinyl table cloth because they come in a variety of colors and are super easy to clea, can be folded up and saved for the next party, or just tossed away if it's damaged. 

The pedestal serving trays are functional and look great. They are made from inexpensive materials and are incredibly easy to make which is an added bonus! They are sturdy enough that they will last long past one party and can be used again and again.

 
Now for my favorite part of any party, the cupcakes!!  I made vanilla and chocolate cupcakes and frosted them with homemade buttercream icing. The toppers are made from fondant and royal icing. Cute, simple, and tasty, these cupcakes were a big hit!
 
 
Everyone had a great time visiting with Roman and each other. It had been awhile since some of our friends and family have seen Roman so it was great to see everyone again. We are so blessed to have an entire village of people that love and care for Roman and want to be a part of his life!

No comments:

Post a Comment