Thursday, September 4, 2014

Spaghetti Squash with Fresh Garden Tomatoes

I feel like I have been eating tomatoes non stop sine they started ripening in our garden.  Not that I'm complaining, but eating tomatoes plain, for weeks on end, gets old really fast.  I needed to come up with a way to reinvent these here tomatoes so I could enjoy these delicious little morsels without it feeling like a chore!
Everything is better with cheese, so I knew feta would be a sure bet.  But tomatoes with feta is hardly a meal, or a snack if you talk to either of the men in the this house.  (If you have ever seen Roman eat you'd consider him a man in this case too!).  So I decided to make a Pasta & Oil type dish with spaghetti squash, tomatoes, feta, and a few other ingredients.  It's super light, which is perfect for summer, and it can be thrown together in no time flat!  Plus I know John and Roman both love spaghetti squash, so I knew I'd have a winner when I was done.

Spaghetti Squash with Fresh Garden Tomatoes
2 spaghetti squash
1/2 a lemon, juiced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups chopped tomato
3/4 cup crumbled feta (or more if you love cheese)
2 green onions, sliced

Preheat oven to 400°.  Cut spaghetti squash in half length wise and remove the seeds and fleshy part in the middle; the same way you would clean a pumpkin before carving.  Lay the halves on a baking sheet cut side up.  Brush a small amount of olive oil onto the flesh of the squash.  Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes until soft.

Using a fork, scrape out the inside of the squash.  Make sure to go with the grain of the squash (width wise) to make spaghetti like strands. Place the strands into a bowl.  Drizzle lemon juice and oil over the strands.  Add tomato, feta and green onions.  Toss until all ingredients are well mixed.

I love spaghetti squash because you get the illusion of eating pasta when you're actually eating noting but vegetables!  The first time I made it I was a little skeptical and was even more skeptical that John would like it.  That night we both ate an entire squash each.  Obviously this has become a no-brainer in our house.  They can sometimes be hard to find at the grocery store, especially in the summer, so try your local farmers market or even grow your own!

1 comment:

  1. I've tried spaghetti squash once and it came out crunchy.... I'll have to give it another try though. Minus the feta of course.

    ReplyDelete