Thursday, September 11, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie with Homemade Crust

Chicken Pot Pie has been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember.  Each and every time I make it it's as if everything is right in the world, especially when it's pared with my Grandma's homemade crust.  My Grandma was a master cook and if you've tried her Hash recipe then you'll completely understand.  Growing up in rural Saskatchewan in 1917, then having 7 kids (all girls, the poor woman), a husband that lived for pie, and living to the ripe old age of 95, she had plenty of time and opportunities to perfect her craft, and this crust will not disappoint!

 
I like my pot pie to have equal amounts chicken and vegetables so that every bite is fill with amazing flavour.  I am overrun with fresh herbs from my garden so this was the perfect opportunity to use some of them and enhance the flavour of the chicken.  I know chicken pot pie traditionally has a top to it, but I find that all that crust can sometimes overpower the filling so I decided to make mine open faced.

Chicken Pot Pie
2 cups chicken, cooked & chopped (use whatever cut you like)
2 cups frozen vegetables
1 10oz can cream of mushroom soup
2T chopped fresh parsley
2t fresh thyme
1/4t salt
1/4t pepper

Homemade Crust
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4t salt
1/2 cup butter, cubed & cold
1/3 cup water

Mix together flour and salt in a large bowl.  Cut in cubed butter with a pastry blender or with your hands.  Grandma's technique was to take a handful of flour and butter and rub it between her hands until the butter started to break up into smaller pieces, so this is how I do it.  Add the water and mix with your hands until the dough starts to come together.

On a floured surface roll out pie crust into a circle 1/4" thick and place in pie pan.  Trim off excess crust by running a paring knife against the lip of the pan at a 45 degree angle.  I like to make a design around the edge of my crust using a fork.  You could also pinch the edge to make ridges or leave it plain.

In a bowl combine all pot pie ingredients and mix until combined.  Pour mixture into pie crust and spread into an even layer using a spatula.  At this point you can use the excess pie crust to make a design on the top of the pie if you wish.  If you like your chicken pot pie with a top, make a second pie crust and lay it over the filling, sealing the top to the bottom using warm water.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until crust starts to brown.  Let the pie rest for a few minutes before serving.  This will allow the filling to set up a bit and prevent the filling from running everywhere when you cut into it.

This would also make a great freezer meal!  If freezing the entire pie, bake as directed and allow to cool.  Then wrap top with tin foil and freeze.  To serve, simply reheat in the oven.  For individual servings, bake as directed and allow to cool.  Place slices of pie in an airtight container or wrap in plastic wrap, then freeze.  Reheat in a microwave to serve.

1 comment:

  1. 7 girls. Oie. There's another reason we're quitting at 2! Lol! Yum yum yum, I can't wait to try this recipe!! I LOVE homemade chicken pot pie but I've never been brave enough to try making it. We actually have leftover chicken in our fridge right now so it's the perfect opportunity!

    ReplyDelete