Thursday, May 1, 2014

Smart Mac & Cheese

Everyone loves macaroni and cheese, but we also all know that it probably isn't the best thing for us to eat.  Whether or not we listen to what we know is an entirely different question.  I've never had good luck with homemade cheese sauce.  It always ends up thick, goopy, and regardless of how much cheese I add, never cheesy enough.  So when I saw this recipe on an episode of The Social I knew I had to try it!  Not only did it look delicious, but it's also good for you!  Blasphemous!

I know what your thinking, it's probably going to taste unappetizing and be runny.  Your wrong!  This sauce is thick, creamy, cheesy and a glorious orange color!  John and I have fallen in love with this recipe, and I'm confident enough in this recipe that I even give it to Roman with little pastina!  Okay, enough with the chit chat, let's get to the recipe!


Smart Mac & Cheese
3 cups butternut squash, peeled & cubed (approx. 1 whole squash)
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 1/2 cup 2% milk
4T cottage cheese
1t salt
1t pepper
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
4 cups macaroni

Combine squash, broth, milk, salt and pepper.  Simmer for 25 minutes or until squash is tender.


Add squash mixture to a blender and puree.  Return the puree to the pot.  *TIP - let the squash cool a bit before blending or it may explode out of the blender, not fun.  You can also use an immersion blender and blend it right in the pot you cooked it in.

Add the remaining ingredients, except pasta, to the sauce.  Heat the sauce on low heat until the cheese is melted.  If you want it extra cheesy you can add more cheese to the sauce.  In a separate pot, cook macaroni as directed on the package.  Serve the macaroni with a heaping scoop of cheese sauce.


Doesn't this picture make you drool!  I would choose this over boxed mac and cheese any day of the week!  I promise this will become a family favorite in no time!  I'm not going to lie and say that you can't taste the squash, you can.  However, the sweetness of the squash is a perfect compliment to the cheese and adds the creaminess that mac and cheese has to have to be fulfilling. 

Quite possibly the best part is that it freezes extremely well!  I usually use half of the sauce for our meal the day I make it and pour the rest into a freezer bag and pop it in the freezer.  When you want to use the frozen sauce, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat it in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment