Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Apple Walnut Oatmeal Bars

The quest for breakfast finger foods continues!  Now that Roman is a little older, has two teeth, and is better able to chew food, it opens up a lot more options for food.  Again I decided to stick with the oatmeal in the hopes that I'm getting all the iron into him that he needs. 

While I was cruising the Internet looking for inspiration, I found a post on a mom forum for this oatmeal bar.  I decided to give it my own twist with the addition of fruit and nuts to keep things interesting for Roman.

Apple Walnut Oatmeal Bars
1 cup quick oats
1 cup water
1/4 cup chopped apple
3T chopped walnuts

Mix oats, water and chopped apples together.  Pour into the bottom of a loaf pan and sprinkle walnuts over top.  Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.  The bars will be soft and will stay this way.  Slice into bars and store in an airtight container in the fridge.

To serve the oatmeal bars I simply pop them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.  I will often top the bars with a fruit puree so that I can sneak more fruit into Roman.  Then I cut them into pea sized pieces (seems to be the perfect size for Roman these days) and dump them onto his tray.  Then the madness begins!!

**NOTE: I am not a dietitian or doctor. Always consult a health care professional before changing your infants diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment