Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Lemony Garlic Shrimp with Vegetables

This post is going to look a little different than most of my recipe posts because I didn't start out with the intention of making it a blog post.  This recipe was just one of many I was making in my latest freezer cooking day.  The smell of this dish cooking had wafted into the living room where John was watching Roman and he immediately came running into the kitchen to taste it.  Even scalding hot, John was immediately in love!  As soon as I tasted it for myself I knew I had to share!


The originally recipe was posted on Renee's Kitchen Adventures.

Lemony Garlic Shrimp and Vegetables - Serves 8
4 bell peppers, diced
2 bunches asparagus, diced
2 lemons, zested
3/4t salt
3/4t pepper
5t minced garlic
1/2 cup onion, diced
6 cups shrimp cleaned & peeled (thawed if frozen)
3 cups chicken broth
6t cornstarch
2 lemons, juiced
3T butter
3T chopped parsley

Cook peppers, asparagus and lemon zest in cooking spray on medium heat until tender crisp.  Season with salt and pepper.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Spray pan again and cook garlic and onion for 1 minute.  Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink.  Whisk broth and cornstarch together until smooth and add to pan.  Cook stirring until the sauce thickens.  Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, butter, vegetables and parsley.

To Freeze - allow it too cool and divide it into large bags.  Lay flat to freeze.
To Serve - Thaw and reheat in a pot on the stove.

We usually roast, boil or maybe even BBQ our asparagus.  Obviously I have been living under a rock because it never occurred to me to chop up asparagus and use it in a recipe like this!  The subtle crunch that they give to this recipes is absolutely perfect!  I will definitely be adding it to more recipes in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment