Thursday, August 7, 2014

Fruity Baby Muesli

 
It sure seems like I've had a lot of baby/kid breakfast recipes lately.  I guess that's because I find breakfast one of the tougher meals when it comes to Roman.  I need something fast, simple, and preferably doesn't require a lot of cooking first thing in the morning.  While cruising through my copy of First Meals by Annabel Karmel I came across this recipe. 

I only knew of muesli as the dry cereal that I've seen in the breakfast isle at the grocery store.  It seemed like a simple recipe and I liked that I could prepare it the night before and leave it in the fridge; makes for a much less hectic morning and a less stressed Mom.  Why is it that kids always know when your planning on leaving the house and that's the day they always wake up late or fight you on eating breakfast?  If you know the answer to this question plaguing mothers around the world, please leave the answer in the comments!!

Fruity Baby Muesli
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 wheat germ
1 dried apricot or pear chopped
1T raisins
2/3 cup white grape or apple juice
1/2 red apple peeled and grated
3 grapes, halved and seeds removed

Combine all ingredients together and let soak overnight.  If you make this for a younger child you can blend the soaked mixture.

I made a couple of swaps in the recipe.  First, I didn't have wheat germ so I just added more oats.  Then while I was shopping I forgot to grab the grape juice and didn't want to make the trek back to that isle with Roman who was slowly losing his patience for grocery shopping.  So I ended up grabbing some apple cranberry juice that I just happened to be standing beside.  How convenient!  Plus it was pretty tasty!

1 comment:

  1. Truthfully the name of this post made me turn up my nose, something about "muesli" and "baby" and all in one sentence... sounded like baby mush. (I had and still really don't have much of a clue what muesli actually is..) But after reading the recipe, it actually doesn't sound half bad and might actually taste good! I think I actually will try this out for Leila sometime for something different!

    ReplyDelete