Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Breakfast Burrito Bites


After eating oatmeal for breakfast for months I decided I needed to mix it up a bit.  I like having eggs for breakfast but I don't always feel like cooking at 6am, nor do I always have the time when I'm trying to feed a starving 1 year old.  I found this recipe on Ella Claire Inspired and decided to make it in my latest freezer cooking day. 

Not only are these bites delicious and healthy, but they are super easy to make and are great for breakfast on the go, which will be super handy in a couple months when I'm back to work.  The tortilla cup that holds all the eggy goodness makes for a fun presentation that is sure to entice kids to at least try them.  Roman seemed to think they were pretty tasty!

Breakfast Burrito Bites (makes 24)
4 large flour tortillas (I used tortillas with flax in them because they were on the discount rack)
16 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2t salt
1/2t pepper
1 cup bacon, cooked & chopped
1/2 cup spinach, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
chives (as much or as little as you like)

Cut each tortilla into 6 triangles.  Spray muffin tins with oil and push one triangle into each cup.  In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and chives.  Sprinkle bacon, spinach and bell pepper into each muffin cup.  Pour egg mixture into the muffin cups and top with cheese.  Bake, covered with foil, at 350° for 25 minutes.  To freeze, just wrap in plastic wrap once cooled and pop them into a freezer bag.  To serve, reheat in the microwave.

I've tried a few other egg cup recipes and no matter what I do they always seem to stick to the muffin tins.  I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have that problem with these.  Even though the egg seeps outside the tortilla a bit, they still didn't stick.  I'm not sure if it has something to do with the tortilla or is I just oiled the tins better this time...

2 comments:

  1. These sound quite delicious and fairly easy! I'm wary about the freezing and warming up though, does it affect the taste/texture of the eggs? And don't the tortillas get soggy after microwaving them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the very same reservations Trellyn! I find the eggs still have the same eggy texture. If there is any change in texture I think it's masked by the vegetables, cheese and tortilla. The tortillas surprisingly are not soggy at all. Actually if you over microwave them (like I did this morning) the parts above the egg turn super crispy!

    ReplyDelete