Thursday, August 14, 2014

Chopped Inspired Chicken Wrap


Today I was feeling inspired for lunch.  Well, actually I was dreading lunch because I had no idea what I wanted to eat.  All I knew is that I definitely did not want the leftovers in the fridge.  I hate wasting food but sometimes you just can't eat the same thing 4 days in a row.  So after preparing Roman a delicious lunch I headed to the fridge to see what my options were.

I came across some leftover sesame chicken and rice.  There was half a chicken breast and maybe 1/3 cup of rice left.  It had been fermenting in there for a couple days and the rice was looking a little sad.  Suddenly I had an idea!  Why not take a page from a recent Chopped episode featuring leftovers and make something new with it!  The hunt was on for something to pair with the chicken that had seen better days.

Some semi frost bitten whole wheat tortillas were peeking out at me from the bottom of the freezer and they looked like they could use some love.  I recently picked up some of my favorite summer roughage from the local farmer's market.  Earth, Sun, You is a vendor that sells delicious micro greens and shoots of all kinds at the Regina Farmer's Market and the Moose Jaw Farmer's Market.  I love the pea shoots and the sunflower shoots are pretty tasty too.  In this particular dish I decided to use pea shoots mixed with radish shoots.  We recently had my parents over to help us install a vanity and I had some onions leftover that I had chopped for our BBQ lunch that day; I knew I could work those in.  I grabbed a cucumber, a little mayo and some cheese, because everything is better with cheese, and voila this delicious wrap was conceived!


Leftovers can get old fast, especially when you're the only person that eats them!  Next time your staring down a sad display of precooked food, take the opportunity to be creative with your meal and see what you can come up with!  The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't taste good and you end up tossing it, like you would have to that disheartening meal you found in the first place!

2 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum! I read this before lunch and got such a craving for a recreation I scoured our fridge to hopefully find some magically appearing chicken. I only found chili... Totally not the same thing. lol. I'll be keeping this in mind though, next time we have leftover chicken hanging around!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I inspired you to reinvent your leftovers! Put chili on pasta! It's like a super yummy meat sauce. That was the only way my Mom ever served chili haha

    ReplyDelete