Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Peeps Cupcakes

Now I'm well aware that Easter has come and gone but I still want to share these super cute cupcakes with you.  It's never too early to start planning for next year right?


I came across a photo of these cupcakes on Pinterest and I really wanted to give them a shot.  Of course I didn't actually read the post that went along with the photo, I just figured I could make it work.  While the cupcakes did turn out great and tasted amazing (which is really the important part), there are a few things I would do differently the next time I make them.  Hopefully these tips will make your Peeps cupcakes even more successful!

I started out by baking my cupcakes.  You could use any recipe you like but this time I decided to use this recipe for a vanilla cake.  This is probably one of the better vanilla cake recipes I have tried and highly recommend it!  Once the cupcakes were baked and completely cooled I used a knife to cut a hole in the middle of each cupcake.  I found the easiest way to do this was to cut out a cone shape and then widen the hole with a small spoon.  I dropped a few mini M&Ms into the hole along with a mini candy covered chocolate egg.  If I could go back and redo the cupcakes I would have added a lot more M&Ms to the hole.  The few that I had dropped in ended up stuck to the icing and didn't exactly spill out of the cupcake like in the original photo.  My advice to you, fill the hole with as much candy as you can pile in there; it's the obvious solution!


I was going to use buttercream for the frosting but decided to go with a Whipped Cream Frosting since it is a little less sweet.  Heavens knows there is already enough sugar packed into these bad boys.  I piped the frosting around the edge of the cupcake and then worked my way in, completely covering the candy filled hole.  Lastly, each cupcake was topped with a Peep.  I'm personally not a fan of Peeps so I won't be eating mine but I think they are adorable; plus they scream Easter!


The only down side to the Peeps is that you get the exposed marshmallow on the sides where you separate them from each other.  If it really bothers you you could push some colored sugar into the exposed marshmallow to cover it up.  If you are making these cupcakes in advance I would suggest putting the Peeps on at the very last minute.  Not only will it make it easier to transport then, but you'll avoid having the color of your Peep bleed into the color of your frosting. 


Just because Easter is over doesn't mean you can't make these cupcakes.  Actually now is the perfect time to make them!  Why?  Because stores will be blowing the Peeps out now that Easter is over!  Go out and grab some and make some delicious spring cupcakes to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment