Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Cherry Pie Pops

This is the second recipe in my Spring Baking series!  I love pie but it isn't exactly the most travel friendly dessert, and you normally need utensils to eat which doesn't make it picnic friendly.  So why not put the pie on a stick!?  I can't think of any food that isn't better when served on a stick, so when I came across this idea on Pinterest I knew I wanted to give it a try!


Cherry Pie Pops (Makes 8)
1 recipe pie crust, or you could buy frozen pie crust
1/2 cup cherry pie filling (about 1/3 of a 19 oz. can)
8 Lollipop sticks
1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
sugar for dusting

Roll out pie crust to 1/4" thick and use a cookie cutter or drinking glass to cut 3" circles from the dough.  Lay a dough circle on a parchment lined baking sheet and press a lollipop stick into the dough, making sure that the top of the stick is past the centre of the dough circle. Add 1/2t of pie filling to the dough; I of course squeezed a little more in and put three cherries and a bit of syrup in each pop.  Take a second round of dough and dab a bit of water around the edge, place it on top of the pie filling and press the two rounds together along the edge. For this I used a fork just like I would when I make a regular pie.


Brush the top of the pop with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.  At the last minute I decided to cut a small design into the top of my pops to make them look more like little pies. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.  Allow the pops to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the baking sheet.  Transfer to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.


I was a little sceptical that the stick was actually going to stay in the pie, but surprisingly they all did!  Once they cool completely they are actually pretty sturdy on the stick and even stood up to Roman waving them around before he ate them.  These pies are the perfect serving size, especially if you are on a weight loss journey, because they give you the delicious taste of pie and all the buttery flaky crust but also keeps you from eating the entire pie.  I know I can't be the only one that sits down with a pie and a fork with the intention of having one piece and the next thing you know the entire pie is gone.

Click here to see a full list of al the recipes included in my Spring Baking Series!

2 comments:

  1. Those look absolutely delicious! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to a beach potluck/picnic on Sunday these would be PERFECT for!!! Except it has to be gluten free..... Maybe I'll make them for the girls and I anyway for the drive. Lol.

    ReplyDelete