Thursday, July 17, 2014

Whipped Cream Frosting


This is quite honestly the most delicious, mouth watering, worship worthy frosting I have ever tasted, and I've eaten my fair share of frosting!  I recently found this recipe on Wholesome Baby Food while I was searching for a "better for you" frosting recipe for Roman's smash cake.  As soon as I mixed this frosting up I knew I had found a recipe that would be in the family forever.  I immediately called my Mom into the kitchen and made her taste it.  We then proceeded to hover over the baby gate and eat half of the leftover icing with spoons while my Dad looked on in disgust.  Men just don't understand a woman's need to eating straight icing!

The cream cheese and sugar gives this frosting the taste of a cream cheese frosting, but it is elevated to a whole new level by the whipped cream.  Not only is this frosting light and fluffy, but the whipped cream also subdues the cream cheese flavour to make a well balanced and delectable frosting.  This frosting pairs wonderfully with cakes, cupcakes, or even muffins with a flavour more on the tart side.  I spread some of the leftover frosting on my Lemon Cranberry Crumble Muffins and it was to die for!

Whipped Cream Frosting
8oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/8t salt
1t vanilla
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

Using a mixer, or a whisk if you're a ninja, whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.  Set aside.  Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla until smooth.  Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.  If you want to color the icing, add the coloring now and gently mix until the color is evenly distributed.

It's just that easy!  The airy consistency of this frosting lends itself incredibly well to piping simple shapes like swirls and shells and would be a great frosting to learn with.  This recipe will forever be in my arsenal for decorating cakes.  Along with the traditional buttercream icing, you will never need to look for another frosting recipe again!

3 comments:

  1. This icing is my new favorite, especially straight from the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this once looking for a cream cheese fruit dip... And honestly didn't like it, I like more of the pure cream cheese taste and thought the whipped cream ruined it. If I would've known how much you like it, I have a bowl in the freezer you could've eaten to your hearts content. If only there was a way to FedEx it to you... Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad it wasn't what you were looking for!

      Delete