Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Bathroom Makeover!

We recently purchased our first home, and although it's the perfect home for us, it's slightly stuck in the 70's. In particular our main bathroom.  It has been a conversation piece and a tourist attraction since we moved in.  I'm not quite sure what I hate more, the hideous cedar wall, or the obnoxiously yellow tub.  I'm not a huge fan of the burgundy marble counter top with the shell shaped sink, but I think with the makeover I have planned it will turn into something beautiful.

The medicine cabinet, soap and tooth brush holders, and the toilet paper holder are dated but I actually like the pattern embossed in them. To give them a quick update, I gave them all a coat of Krylon brand white spray paint.

We decided to go with a grey paint color because it accented the burgundy counter top well, and we had a gallon of paint left over from Roman's room. I'm always looking for ways to save money!  The color is Soft Pewter by Beauty Tone at Home Hardware.

For the cedar we decided to paint it white instead of removing it all together. First we applied an oil primer to seal the wood. *TIP* When using an oil based primer, add a bit of vanilla extract to combat the smell. We used almond extract because I was out of vanilla and that worked as well. Then we painted it with Valspar brand white latex paint.


But let's get back to the horrid yellow tub, not that you can really ignore it.  For the time being we have decided to keep the tub since it is in decent condition (a disservice to humanity I know), but I found a creative way to disguise it.  I came across this idea on Pinterest and it was a perfect fix for my horrendous tub.  Can you tell I really despise this tub?


Not nearly as exciting but definitely needed, we replaced the toilet.  The marble looking toilet just screamed 1970 and the flushing mechanism worked sporadically at best. The new toilet is a dual flush (4/6L) which should save us some money on our water bill.


After all these changes, my favorite part of the makeover are the photos of Roman on the wall!  I took pictures I had of Roman in the tub and printed in black and white.  The frames are a burgundy color to compliment the color of the counter top.  The mirror flowers I have scattered between the photos, which I found at Wal Mart, are removable so if I decide to change the photo layout they can move as well.

The bathroom renovation isn't complete, but a few hours of work has made it look like a totally different bathroom!  We were very fortunate that the toilet was on sale and we had leftover paint that we could use, which kept the cost down.  The entire makeover cost approximately $250 including the cost of the toilet!  Money well spent to hide the big yellow monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment