Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Broccoli Tots

I think vegetables are the bane of every parent's existence, at least when it comes to feeding their kids.  Whether you have a picky eater or not, plane ole steamed or boiled veggies get old fast.  I'm always on the hunt for a veggie recipe that is tasty, easy, and if I can freeze it, even better!

I came across this recipe from Gimme Delicious (love the name!) on Pinterest.  Broccoli and cheese are obviously a classic pairing so I had a hunch it would be a winner, and boy was I right!  I love these for a quick and easy side or snack.  I've been known to have them as a meal dipped in a little tatziki or ranch while I bounce a fussy Bianca.  Delicious, healthy, and portable!


Broccoli Tots
2 cups broccoli
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup diced onion
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup Panko
1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs*
2T parsley
1t salt
1t pepper

*Don't have Italian breadcrumbs?  Just use Panko instead.  I've done it and they are just as delicious!

Blanch broccoli for 1 minute, then shock with cold water.  Set aside.
Chop broccoli finely and mix with egg, onion, cheese, Panko, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper.
Scoop mixture with an ice cream scoop and form into the shape of a tater tot.  Or if you're lazy like me, just leave them in the ball from the scoop.  Plus it's cleaner!
Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet at 400° for 18-24 minutes, turning hallway through.

To Freeze: Allow to cool completely.  Flash freeze on the baking sheet and transfer to a freezer bag once frozen.
To Serve: Reheat in the oven or in the microwave.

I knew this was going to be a winner when John was stealing tots while they were cooling on the stove.  Luckily Roman LOVES broccoli so it didn't take much convincing to get him to eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment