Thursday, January 8, 2015

Healthier Bangers & Mash

I love shopping my freezer when I'm out of ideas for supper.  Sometimes finding that perfect protein in the freezer is enough to inspire an entire meal, but it didn't quite happen that way this time.  I came across a package of mild Italian sausage in the freezer and immediately I thought I would make Toasted Pasta.  A great recipe for sure, but I felt like I needed to make something different, like I was getting into a bit of a food rut.  After standing at the counter glaring at the package of thawing sausage like it was it's fault that I was uninspired it hit me.  Bangers & Mash!

Now I've never had an authentic bangers & mash meal but I knew the basics so how hard could it be to recreate.  Well first off I never have potatoes in this house so that was the first stick in the mud.  Luckily I did have a head of cauliflower that I knew would make a great mashed potato substitute.  I still felt like I was missing something so I dove into the crisper in the fridge and this is what happened!

Healthier Bangers & Mash
1 pkg mild Italian sausage (5 links), split down the middle
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 cup diced onion
1 bunch swiss chard, washed & chopped
1 1/2 cups diced mushroom
2t minced garlic
salt & pepper
1T butter
2T parmesan cheese

Place split sausage links in a pan over medium-high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove sausages from pan and set aside. Don't be concerned if the sausage burns a bit, those black bits will add flavor to the veggies! Add the onion to the pan and season with salt and pepper. The salt will draw out the moisture from the onion and help lift the sausage flavor from the pan. Sauté the onion for 1 minute then add in the swiss chard & mushrooms. Add garlic and sauté until the swiss chard has wilted.

Bring water to a boil in a large pot.  Add cauliflower and boil until tender.  Strain and return to pot.  Add butter and parmesan cheese.  Mash with a potato masher until it reaches a mashed potato like consistency.

Serve a scoop of cauliflower topped with a scoop of the swiss chard mixture and a sausage link.

I know the thought of substituting cauliflower for potatoes seems like you would be giving up a lot of satisfaction but I promise that it's much easier than you think. I've actually started to prefer cauliflower over potatoes, which I'm sure will shock my Mom because I LOVE potatoes. I feel so much better after eating the cauliflower because I don't feel stuffed and heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment